- October 2017-present: Postdoctoral Investigator, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Paleontology and Geobiology, Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München
- 2013-2017: Postdoctoral Investigator, Section 5.3: Geomicrobiology GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Helmholtz Institute Potsdam
- 2008-2013: Graduate Researcher, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva
2013-2017: Postdoctoral research in geomicrobiology, GFZ Potsdam
2008-2013: Ph.D in Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva
2006-2008: Masters in Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva
2003-2006: Bachelor in Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva
- Eigene Stelle DFG grant (VU 94/1-1): Inspected the formation of authigenic minerals associated with microbial activity in ferruginous sediments at Lake Towuti. This research was part of the ICDP-funded Towuti Drilling Project.
- Early Postdoc.Mobility SNSF grant (no. P2GEP2_148621): Addressed the link between biogeochemistry and microbial populations in the sediments of Lake Towuti, Indonesia. Due to its iron-rich settings, the lake is ideal to study metal reduction processes and their influence on the sediment composition during early diagenesis.
- PhD thesis "Characterizing the Subsurface Biosphere in Laguna Potrok Aike Sediments (Argentina) – a Case Study -" mainly focused on deep microbial populations in the sediment of the Potrok Aike maar lake, Argentinean Patagonia (ICDP-funded PASADO project). This thesis was rewarded by the CHGEOL Award 2013.
- Master thesis: "Contribution to the Study of Cement Stratigraphy using a Multi-Methodological Approach", was centered on carbonates diagenesis using cathodoluminescence, X-ray microfluorescence, fluorescence microscopy, fluid inclusions and image analyses.
Fellowships and Research Awards
2015-2017: Eigene Stelle DFG grant (VU 94/1-1) awarded
2013-2015: Early Postdoc Mobility SNSF grant (P2GEP2_148621) awarded
Honors, Awards, Publicity
CHGEOL Award 2013 for Ph.D dissertation
2008 ELSTE price for Master thesis
Teaching and Mentoring Experience
2008-2013: Teaching Assistant, General Geology, Cartography, Glacial Geology, Calcareous Algae Bachelor, Department of Earth and Enviromental Sciences, University of Geneva.
2015: Field operations of the ICDP Lake Towuti Drilling Project, geobiology sampling (Indonesia)
2014: Pilot campaign of the ICDP Lake Towuti Drilling Project, sampling at Malili Lakes (Indonesia)
2013: Facies and structure of the Panthalassic Mino terrane, central Japan, CUSO camp (Japan)
2012: Tectonics and sedimentation along an active plate boundary, CUSO camp (New Zealand)
2011: Modern and Quaternary carbonate environments, CUSO camp (Bahamas)
2010: Field operations of the ICDP Dead Sea Project (Israel)
2010: Tectonostratigraphy and plate tectonics of Crete (Greece)
2010: Geobiology, intensive training course on microbes/minerals interactions (USA)
2009: Study of tidal deposits, flats of the Wadden Sea (Germany)
2008: PhD fieldwork, field operations of the ICDP PASADO project, South Patagonia (Argentina)
2008: Study of the deep biosphere, ECORD camp (Germany)
2008: Study of the Late Glacial period, CUSO camp (Norway)
2007: Study of pelagic sediments, gorges of Breggia (Switzerland)
2007: Study of the continental and coastal deposits, Jeffara (Tunisia)
2006: Study of continental and coastal deposits, Tremp basin (Spain)
Fluid inclusion microthermometry, optical cathodoluminescence, fluorescence microscopy (OM, DAPI), X-microfluorescence, Raman microprobe, calcimetry, P speciation, DNA techniques (PCR, DGGE, qPCR, cloning, illumina MiSeq), lipid extraction, pore water extraction, chromatography (FAs, CH4), SEM, TEM.
- 2017: "Geomicrobiology of ferruginous Lake Towuti, Indonesia: From water column to deep subsurface sediment." LMU Kolloquium, Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München, April 10th.
- 2017: "Isotopic record of diagenetic siderites from Lake Towuti’s ferruginous sequence, Indonesia." IODP/ICDP Kolloquium, Brunschweig, Germany, March 14th-16th.
- 2016: "Iron minerals from source to sink, siderite and vivianite from Lake Towuti, Indonesia." SFB 754-A6 Isotope Geochemistry, GEOMAR Kiel, September 15th.
- 2016: "The microbiology and geochemistry of Lake Towuti in Sulawesi, Indonesia." Center for Geomicrobiology, Aarhus University, June 27th
- 2014: "Inferring microbial processes in iron-rich sediments of Lake Towuti (Indonesia) from pore water biogeochemistry and intra/extracellular DNA – Perspectives for the ICDP deep drilling campaign 2015." 3rd International Conference of Geobiology, Wuhan, June 16th-19th, Abstract volume 187-188.
- 2013: "Characterizing the Subsurface Biosphere in Laguna Potrok Aike Sediments (Argentina) – a Case Study." Ph.D public defense, University of Geneva, June 7th.
- 2013: "Methanogenic populations in Holocene sediments: Tracing microbial diagenesis." Geomicrobiological Colloquium, GFZ Potsdam, February 13th.
- 2012: "Uncovering present and past microbial activity in lacustrine sediments: Is there an unequivocal sediment- species relationship?" 4th International ICDP Workshop PASADO, Bremen, Germany, August 27th-29th 2012. Terra Nostra 2012/2, 34-36.
- 2011: "Tracking the influence of microbes on nutrient cycles and early diagenesis down through Laguna Potrok Aike anoxic sediments." 3rd International PASADO Workshop, Montreal, Canada, March 21st-23rd 2011, Abstract volume 62-65.
- 2010: "Exploring the subsurface biosphere in Lake Potrok-Aike sediments: Constraining the microbial role into diagenesis, a new prospect for ICDP." 2nd International ICDP Workshop PASADO, Vienna, Austria, May 1st-2nd, 2010. Terra Nostra 2010/1, 60-61.
- 2009: "Investigating sub-bottom microbial activity in lacustrine environments - The ICDP sponsored PASADO Project." 17th Meeting of Swiss Sedimentologists, Fribourg, February 21st, Abstract volume 49-50.