- 1843 The Institute of Palaeontology and Historical Geology was established at the LMU Munich. Johann Andreas Wagner (1797-1861) became the first Professor of Palaeontology at the Munich University.
- 1866 - 1904 Karl Alfred von Zittel
The Insitute and the Collection became very famous at the end of the 19th century.
- 1904 - 1920 August Rothpelz
Rothpelz helped to estabilsh the Chair of Geology. Therefore he left the LMU 130 000 RM in his will.
- 1920 - 1940 Ferdinand Brolli
Mainly research on Vertebrate Palaeontology
- 1940 - 1945 Karl Beurlen
Due to impending bombing his staff members Dacqué, Hirmer, Schröder and Weber (against Beurlens wishes) moved parts of the most important fossils to the Bavarian Castles. On April 24th 1944 the Building at Neuhauser Straße 51 was completely destroyed - including all fossils inside (approx. 80%)
- 1945 (After end of the war) Joachim Schröder (temporary)
He organized the return and reunion of the saved fossils.
- 1950 - 1976 Richard Dehm
Institute and Collection were relocated at Richard-Wagner-Straße 10 (former civic School of Applied Arts).
New Professorships of Micropalaeontology and Palaeobotany.
- 1976 - 1998 Dietrich Herm
Director of Bavarian State Collection of Palaeontology and Historical Geology and Chair of Palaeontology, LMU
- 1998 - 2006 Reinhold Leinfelder
Director of Bavarian State Collection of Palaeontology and Geology and Chair of Palaeontology, LMU
2002 Unification of the previous chairs for Geology, Palaeontology, Geophysics, Crystallography, Mineralogy and Geography to the newly formed Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- 2006 - 2008 Michael Amler (temporary)
Head of Section of Palaeontology
- Since Oktober 2008 Gert Wörheide
Director of the Bavarian State Collection of Palaeontology and Geology
Head of Palaeontology, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, LMU